Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) Nutrition
The WIC Nutrition Program provides nutrition screening, education, and food instruments for pregnant and postpartum women, infants, and children up to five years of age who are income eligible and who have nutritional risk factors. An appointment is required for the initial assessment, which includes height/weight screening and hemoglobin check.
Pregnant women and children one to five years old may get milk, eggs, cheese, juice, cereal, fresh fruit or vegetables, dried beans and peas or peanut butter, whole wheat and whole grain bread or brown rice or corn/wheat tortillas. Women breastfeeding only may get all these foods and maybe canned tuna fish and salmon. Breastfeeding supplies are available, such as manual breast pumps and nursing pads. Infants may get infant formula if not totally breastfed, infant cereal and stage two baby fruits or vegetables.
Income Eligibility Guidelines
WIC Approved Foods for Women and Children
Approved: Least expensive brand available at time of purchase. Select 1% lowfat or 2% reduced fat, fat free, whole milk, calcium enriched, in any combination of gallons or 1/2 gallons. Lactose free and lactose reduced, in 1/2 gallon containers only. The following are approved only when specified on the food instrument: evaporated (canned milk), 12 oz. can, Carnation and Pet brands only, dry milk (powdered), 9.6 oz. box, ultra-high temperature, 8 oz. Buttermilk, 1 quart, least expensive brand at time of purchase. No flavored, acidophilus treated, condensed or organic milk.
Buy only when specified on the food instrument. 8th Continent Original or Vanilla only, 1/2 gallon refrigerated carton. No light, fat free, complete, or chocolate.
Large white or brown plain eggs only, 1 dozen carton. No specialty eggs or Eggland's Best.
Approved: Least expensive brand available of any of the following at time of purchase. Domestic cheeses only, including processed American, Swiss, cheddar, mozzarella, colby, and monterey jack, 16 oz. packages only. May be low-fat, low cholesterol, low sodium, sliced, hoop or block. No cheese food, spread, product or imitation cheese. No string, shredded, mixes, cubes or deli cheese. No peppers or other added ingredients.
- Select only the size(s) specified on the food instrument.
- Orange, grapefruit, orange-grapefruit juices - Any brand of 100% juice without added sweetener. You cannot get fruit punch, fruit drink or drink ades.
- Pineapple, grape juices - Any brand of 100% juice without added sweetener. You cannot get fruit punch, fruit drink or drink ades.
- Apple juices - Any brand of 100% juice without added sweetener. You cannot get fruit punch, fruit drink or drink ades.
- Juicy Juice - All flavors of Juicy Juice, including punches, are WIC approved.
- Cranberry juice - Select Northland cranberry and Northland cranberry juice blend.
Select any combination of cereals with ounces close to, but not exceeding, the specified amount on the food instrument. Must be 14 oz. box or larger.
Breads: Choice of 100% whole wheat and whole grain in 16 oz. packages.
Brown rice: 14-16 oz. bag or box. Any brand regular, instant, or boil-in-bag. No seasoned, white, frozen, gourmet blends, or organic.
Whole wheat and corn tortillas: 16 oz. package. Select brands only, call for details.
Least expensive brand available at time of purchase in 16-18 oz. containers. No brands that are whipped, spreads, reduced fat, omega-3, organic, combinations with jelly, honey, etc.
Fresh Fruits and Vegetables
Cash-value vouchers for fresh produce available for children ages one to five years and adults are redeemable at the grocery store. Any variety of fresh fruit or fresh vegetables, whole or cut. Organic allowed.
WIC Approved Foods for Infants
- Infant formula - Only brand, type, size, and quantity specified on food instrument. No substitutions allowed.
- Infant cereal - 8 oz. container, Gerber or Beech-Nut. No organic, DHA, fruit, or other additives.
- Infant fruit or vegetables - Any 2nd stage, single ingredient only in 4 oz. containers of Beech-Nut or Gerber brands. No added sugars, starches, salt (sodium), DHA, or organic.
- Other foods are also available for WIC participants with certain nutritional risk factors.